Saturday, 10 September 2011

Back problems

After having recovered from a nail bind (sound for 1 day). I rode Sam in the walk, up round the farm on Monday(5th Sept), he was totally fine after a week off from the nail bind and was enjoying getting out to the field.

On Tuesday I began riding in the sand paddock, Sam wasn't lame but he was noticeably uncomfortable. I then lunged to see how he was moving and he was still uncomfortable in trot without saddle and rider.
When I was riding he was shaking his head around in trot on a long rein and as soon as I picked up a contact he began kicking out behind (both very unlike him), he was also shaking his head a lot on the lunge.

He was moving fairly stiff behind and not tracking up at all.
We looked at his back and he was very tense round the sacroiliac area. So we decided to treat it as muscular. Hips were level and he was comfortable in walk. I decided to put him on box rest for a few days.
Huge improvement by Thursday 8th after walking out in hand and running the hot shower for 10 mins over his back and croup each day. Rode out in walk with a small amount of trot on Friday 9th and he was moving normally again.
Taking it easy for the next few days, will ride today in walk with slightly more trot than yesterday. He should be able to have some turnout by Monday if he is still fine.

Borrowed Sylvia's massage pad yesterday for 1/2 hour as it seems to be muscular pain he was suffering from I thought it would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment